Magento Training: Take the Right Course
The first task to set when we start an absolutely new and complex action is the search of relevant information and exploration of the surrounding landscape.
According to this logic, if you aim to get some specific knowledge, e.g. related to Magento 2 coding or administrating, you need to find some reliable and valuable sources of expertise. It may seem a simple task, but it is definitely not in fact.
Magento related data is so huge and often slightly structured that the search of best sources may take a lot of time and efforts. So, for the best effect let’s start with the information provided by the Magento team.
Magento U is a set of either free or paid courses provided by the Magento team or trusted instructors, where students are able to choose taking courses online or offline.
The official Magento U page offers more than 50 courses, course combinations, and bundles tailored for frontend and backend developers, system administrators, merchants, business analysts, and marketers. The biggest and most complex set is provided for developers of course.
Magento U Structure
The Magento U structure has several dimensions allowing you to pick up courses according to your current role, skill levels, and course track records, as sometimes for the best effect you need to take all courses in a row and are not allowed to take them randomly.
Magento U provides several ways to get access to the expertise, so you can choose instructor-led classrooms, instructor-led or on-demand online course provisions or Magento U authorized trainer programs available in India and South America.
Official Magento Training Courses
If you prefer offline studies, you can take advantage of the scheduling filter featuring available training locations and time periods. For example, instructor-led classrooms are possible in Kiev, Omaha, Berlin, Amsterdam, and New York city. But, the widest choice of courses is provided online.
For PHP developers with certain coding experience Magento U basically offers Magento 1 and Magento 2 development fundamentals and some add-on knowledge application courses.
- Fundamentals of Magento 2 Development (on-demand). Includes key aspects of the Magento 2 architecture, modules, controllers and ways of their customization – $689;
- Fundamentals of Magento 1.X Development (on-demand). Includes the Magento architecture, MVC and data models, and Magento customization paths – $159.
- Checkout II: Onepage Checkout. Includes the knowledge required for a strong understanding of the Onepage Checkout architecture and further functionality extensions and customizations in this area (based on Magento Enterprise Edition v 1.13) – $50.
- Test Magento with PHPUnit. Allows you to learn how to write tests for Magento 1.X using PHPUnit – $159.
- Magento Enterprise Cloud Edition (MECE): Quick Start for Setup – Free.
The offline instructor-led courses are especially useful for the students that appreciate their time and prefer intensive studies. They can get the answers on their questions immediately and go much faster without delays.
Frontend Developer Courses
- Responsive Design in Magento 2. Allows students to learn basic principles of responsive design and their implementation in built-in Magento 2 themes – Free.
- Core Principles for Theming in Magento 2 (on-demand). Introduces the Magento 2 platform for Magento 1 developers, including layouts, page and block templates, etc. – $375.
- Core Principles for Theming in Magento 1.X (on-demand). Allows to get the skills required for functionality customizations on the Magento theme level. – $925.
Merchants / Marketers
- Managing Your Magento 2 Store (on-demand). Teaches to set up and manage catalogs, customer accounts and groups, use custom tax rules, shipping methods, emails, and reports, create and manage orders, invoices, shipments, and credit memos, use marketing features, etc. – $375.
- Managing Your Magento Store (instructor-led). Allows you to set up and manage catalogs, customer accounts, set up tax rules, payment and shipping methods, store emails, reports, create multiple stores, drive sales with promotions, banners, rewards and SEO. – $1850. On-demand online course is also available.
- Stepping Up Sales with Magento Promotions and Discounts. Provides the ability to create promotions and sales professionally, including special sales events, shopping cart price rules, customer segmentation, etc. – $119.
- Growing Your Business with SEO on Magento. Students get the understanding of best ecommerce SEO practices and the ways of their real-life implementations on Magento. – $119.
- Ecommerce with Magento – Free.
- Multisite Planning for Your Magento Store. Provides the understanding of websites, stores, and store views, typical multisite cases, different admin and user activities, currencies, pricing, promotions, capacity planning, Magento configuration, etc. – $119.
- Performance and System Administration for Magento 1.X (on-demand). Improves the knowledge of the Magento performance tuning and UNIX systems hosting the platform – $159.
- Quickstart to Magento Business Intelligence. The course features the ways of getting specific and valuable Magento data, optimize it and create new metrics, build different reports, etc. – Free.
- Requirements Discovery for Successful Magento 2 Implementations (instructor-led online) – $1850.
Magento U Course Packages
In order to save and get more benefits from the available courses students are able to take advantage of the provided course bundles.
- Unlimited On-demand Track. The Bundle offers one year access to all on-demand courses for Magento 1.X and Magento 2.X- $1498.
- Technical Track. The series of on-demand video courses that enhance developer skills for Magento customizing, testing, and implementing. – $119.
- Merchant Track. The package is made of some general ecommerce and Magento related courses that allow merchants to leverage on the tools for backend management, ecommerce promotions, SEO, multisite planning and running – $119.
- Combination Track (includes all courses of the Technical and Merchant tracks) – $239.
Online on-demand courses are possibly one the most advantageous training options as they allow you to learn Magento from anywhere without breaking any primary process.
The final and most glorious step for Magento training is Magento certification. Magento provides three badges for their official certificates:
- Magento Certified Solution Specialist. The certificate features expert Magento users with a deep and essential knowledge in ecommerce and native platform features able to make the best from the provided functionality profitably.
- Magento Certified Front End Developer. The certificate features expert users with a deep knowledge in Magento theming, layouts, and design-related configurations.
- Magento Certified Developer and Developer Plus. The featured experts are able to use and efficiently enhance all Magento processes and functionalities, including catalogs, products, orders, prices, platform’s architecture, payments, shipments, and so on. Magento Certified Developers Plus are also highly experienced in Magento Enterprise Edition.
All the exams can be passed offline only at Magento certified testing centers all at the same rate of $260. The available locations are numerous and may suit any Magento user and expert.
Magento training is certainly greatly advantageous and allows you to pay attention to the most important sides of the platform knowingly. But, Magento also provides tons of dedicated guides tailored for both technical and business users. So, you can learn them independently, but it will may take more time and efforts from you.
Third Party Sources
Except the original materials provided by the Magento team several companies offer own alternative courses aimed at preparing Magento certified specialists or just building general and specific expertise in Magento. The prices of those courses and tutorials are very affordable or even free. Still, more often experienced Magento developers prefer to take advantage of the Magento official docs that remain the most reliable source of the first-hand Magento expertise.
Possibly, the shortest way to get the required Magento expertise is to start from the officially provided Magento documentation and resources. Only if you realize that this way is too difficult, you can try starting with the fundamentals tailored for inexperienced users. So, hopefully, the above description will help you clarify your view of the Magento U structure making its benefits more notable.